MILWAUKEE (AP) — A new lawsuit alleges that worldwide electronics leader Foxconn Technology Group violated terms of its contract in Wisconsin, while local governments spend hundreds of millions of dollars to prepare for the project. Hintz Real Estate Development Co. claims Foxconn is in breach of its contract by failing to construct a Generation 10.5 LCD manufacturing facility in southeast Wisconsin not far from the Illinois border. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Wednesday on the lawsuit filed in Racine County Court. Foxconn declined to comment on the lawsuit, saying it “continues to fulfill its financial obligations under the local development agreement.”
Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) MGN ImageLITTLE VALLEY – Two new COVID-19 deaths were reported in Cattaraugus County overnight.The County Health Department says an 87-year-old woman and 62-year-old man both developed respiratory failure and were unable to overcome their illness despite aggressive medical treatment.This is the 34th and 35th COVID-19 death in the county.Furthermore, local health leaders reported 85 new cases on Thursday, with 699 now active. The county’s seven-day average percent positivity rate is 7.3 percent, down from 8.3% the day before.There are also 32 people hospitalized with the virus in Cattaraugus County.There have been 1,965 reported since the outbreak started with 1,231 people recovering.
Georgia’s supply of sodded turfgrass will sufficiently cover demand this year, and the delivery cost is not expected to rise, according to the Annual Georgia Sod Producers Inventory Survey conducted by Clint Waltz, University of Georgia Cooperative Extension turfgrass specialist, and the Georgia Urban Ag Council.Thirteen Georgia sod producers participated in the survey, representing farms ranging in size from less than 300 acres to more than 900 acres. The majority of survey participants manage less than 300 acres.“Only one producer indicated plans to add acres in 2018. This is a substantial decrease from the previous three years where 92 percent of surveyed producers reported adding acres into production,” Waltz said. “2018 appears to be a slowdown, but Georgia sod producers have added over 1,000 acres of turfgrass since 2015.”The survey collected data on the stock of Georgia-grown Bermuda grass, centipede grass, Saint Augustine grass, tall fescue and zoysia grass. The majority of the surveyed producers grow Bermuda grass.The state’s stock of zoysia is the same as last year — a “suitable volume,” according to Waltz. Georgia sod producers don’t plan to add more acreage this year, according to the survey.Growers say the price of sodded turfgrass in Georgia should remain steady into 2018. On-the-farm and delivered prices for sod are expected to remain relatively unchanged or decrease compared to 2017 and 2016 prices.The price drop could range from 4 to 11 percent over last year’s prices, according to survey respondents. Of the five species grown in Georgia, only Saint Augustine grass is forecast to have a noticeably higher price than in 2017. The average price for certified grass will be 2 cents per square foot less than last year.“Paying more for certified grasses provides the end consumer with the assurance that they are receiving varietal purity,” said Waltz. “When told of the benefits of certified sod, consumers we have surveyed say they would be willing to pay $20 to $25 more per 500-square-foot pallet.”The cost to deliver sodded Bermuda grass, zoysia and centipede grass is expected to be similar to last year. The survey showed that the delivery price for tall fescue is projected to fall, but the cost to deliver Saint Augustine grass will rise. Freight rates per mile shipped to Atlanta, or within 100 miles of the farm, held constant.The majority of the sod producers surveyed said most of their sod is sold to landscape contractors and to golf courses. In the past, when inventory shortages were a concern, it was prudent to plan well in advance for turf-related projects to get the best price possible, according to Waltz. “2017 was a good growing year for sodded turfgrass. Added acres in production over the past few years seemed to have stabilized the market for now. 2018 appears to be less tenuous,” Waltz said.To view the entire 2018 survey, go to GeorgiaTurf.com.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 21-year-old Huntington man died Sunday after diving into the Saranac River in upstate New York near SUNY Plattsburgh, where he was a student.New York State police said Evan Gillies jumped from Oxbow Bridge into the river in the Town of Schuyler Falls and failed to resurface at 4:27 p.m.The victim’s body was recovered more than an hour later and taken to Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital in Plattsburgh, where he was pronounced dead.The Clinton County Coroner has scheduled an autopsy for Monday.
DOF Subsea has carried out the first major offshore dive with JFD’s new deep diving rebreather, COBRA (Compact Bailout Rebreathing Apparatus).Earlier this year, JFD released COBRA into the market to replace conventional SCUBA bailout methods, providing divers with extended supply of breathing gas in the event of a primary supply failure. Last month COBRA was granted full CE marking status, making it the only approved system of its kind to achieve NORSOK U101 (Diving Respiratory Equipment) and EN14143 (Self Contained Rebreathing Apparatus) standards.Upon delivery of their new COBRA systems, DOF Subsea divers and technicians received familiarity and maintenance training from JFD on-board the Skandi Singapore DSV before embarking on a saturation diving project to 270msw in Australia.At these extreme depths, traditional bailout systems would offer the divers less than 3 minutes of emergency breathing gas, whereas the COBRA system provides 20 minutes minimum duration for this depth.COBRA has been designed and developed by JFD to reduce a diver’s gas usage by recycling the diver’s breath, removing carbon dioxide and injecting a flow of fresh breathing gas to replace the oxygen consumed. COBRA can be tested at any time, giving divers vital reassurance through the single turn activation valve on the helmet. This allows the diver to mechanically switch COBRA on and off as a pre-dive check.The divers were satisfied with the set’s performance during the dive and JFD said it received positive feedback with regards to ease of use, comfort, practicality and the greatly improved safety benefits offered by the system.JFD managing director, Giovanni Corbetta, commented: “JFD is delighted with COBRA’s recent performance throughout both the CE marking testing and the recent dive to 270msw. We are confident that the system provides divers with a reliable and practical solution to an issue which has been of huge concern to diving contractors and oil and gas operators for a number of years. Previous bailout systems’ shortfalls have now been addressed and we are expecting companies to adopt COBRA within their procedures to raise the safety level of diving activities and to ensure preventable diver casualties are widely reduced.”
The government of Nova Scotia has launched a call for applications for tidal energy demonstration permits for projects up to five megawatts in size.The permits also give companies the ability to sell the electricity they generate, and according to Nova Scotia government, no more than 10MW of total power will be authorized.All operators are required to have applicable permits and approvals, including an environmental assessment approval for tidal projects that could generate 2MW or more.Geoff MacLellan, Nova Scotia Energy Minister, said: “As part of our ocean sector, tidal energy has enormous potential to create more opportunities in rural areas, while addressing our climate change goals. These permits will help us stay at the forefront of this rapidly changing industry by finding ways to address technical challenges while lowering the cost of tidal energy.”The permits fall under the Marine Renewable-energy Act proclaimed by the Nova Scotia government on January 24, 2018, which also approved administrative regulations for the industry. Illustration (Photo: NS Department of Energy)
InternationalLifestylePrintTravel Missing plane: Last message revealed by: – March 12, 2014 Share Share 58 Views no discussions Several countries are scouring the seas for signs of the missing planeThe last communication received from a Malaysia Airlines plane suggests everything was normal on board minutes before it went missing over the South China Sea, Malaysian authorities say.Flight MH370 replied “All right, roger that” to a radio message from Malaysian air control, authorities said.The search has been widened to waters off both sides of the peninsula.Malaysia’s air force chief has denied reports the plane was tracked to the Malacca Strait in the west.The China-bound plane went missing on Saturday with 239 people on board.It vanished about an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, as it flew over the South China Sea, south of Vietnam’s Ca Mau peninsula. No distress signal or message was sent.‘Confusing’ informationMalaysian authorities revealed the plane’s last communication at a news conference held in Beijing for relatives of the 154 Chinese who are among the missing passengers.As the plane reached the boundary between Malaysian and Vietnamese airspace, the Malaysian air control announced it was handing over to Ho Chi Minh City Control.Minutes later, all contact with Flight MH370 was lost.China’s foreign ministry said there was “too much confusion” regarding the information released about the plane’s flight path.“It is very hard for us to decide whether a given piece of information is accurate,” spokesman Qin Gang told reporters in Beijing.Relatives of missing Chinese passengers (12 March 2014)Family members have been frustrated by the lack of information about the plane’s fateDeputy Commander of Vietnam 918 Air Brigade Senior Lieutenant Nguyen Tri Thuc (right) looks out for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 off Con Dao island, 12 March 2014There are conflicting reports of the plane’s last location as the search enters its fifth dayIndonesian Air Force crewman prayed prior to a search for the missing planeMalaysians have been writing messages for the missing passengers on a wall in Kuala LumpurEarlier on Wednesday, Malaysia’s air force chief Rodzali Daud denied remarks attributed to him in local media that flight was tracked by military radar to the Malacca Strait, far west of its planned route.Gen Rodzali Daud said he “did not make any such statements”, but the air force had “not ruled out the possibility of an air turn-back”.Sighting?Early search efforts focused on waters between Malaysia and Vietnam.The search was later extended to the Malacca Strait and the Andaman Sea, off Malaysia’s west coast, amid reports that the plane could have turned back.Operations are now covering some 27,000 square nautical miles (92,000 sq km).Malaysian authorities on Wednesday requested assistance from India in searching the Andaman Sea, north of the Malacca Strait.Vietnam has confirmed an investigation into a possible sighting of the plane has so far yielded no results.Vietnam’s air traffic management earlier said it had received an email from a New Zealander working in one of the oil rigs off Vung Tau.“He said he spotted a burning [object] at that location, some 300 km (200 miles) southeast of Vung Tau,” deputy general director Doan Huu Gia said.Malaysia’s acting transport minister, Hishamuddin Hussein, insists there is no confusionOfficials still do not know what went wrong with the aircraft, and several leads pursued so far have proven not to be linked to the plane.After more than four days of fruitless searching, there is an element of desperation creeping into this operation, the BBC’s Jonathan Head in Kuala Lumpur reports.‘Shock at allegations’Some 42 ships and 39 aircraft from several countries are taking part in the search for the plane.Two-thirds of the passengers on board the plane were Chinese. Some were from a range of other Asian countries, North America or Europe.Meanwhile, Malaysia Airlines said in a statement that it was “shocked” by reports made against its First Officer, Fariq Ab Hamid, who was the co-pilot of the missing flight.A South African tourist told Australia’s Channel Nine that she and her friend were invited to sit in the cockpit with Fariq Ab Hamid and the pilot during a flight in 2011, in an apparent breach of airline rules.Malaysia Airlines said it took the reports “very seriously”.None of the debris and oil slicks spotted in the South China Sea or Malacca Strait so far have proved to be linked to the disappearance.In the US, CIA Director John Brennan said the possibility of a terror link could not be ruled out. But he said “no claims of responsibility” over the missing jet had “been confirmed or corroborated”.BBC News Tweet Share Sharing is caring!
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement needs help locating an 11-year-old Jacksonville boy who went missing over the weekend.A missing child alert was issued for 11-year-old Keavon Washington who was last seen in the area of the 1600 block of West 45th Street in Jacksonville on Saturday.He is 4 feet, 10 inches tall, has brown eyes and has black hair.If you have any information on his whereabouts, call the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office at 904-630-0500 or call 911.PLEASE SHARE!Florida MISSING CHILD Alert for 11yo black male Keavon Washington, 4’10”, 135 lbs., last seen 1600 block of West 45th St, Jacksonville. May be in the Jax or Gainesville areas. Contact the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office at 904-630-0500 or 911. #FLMissingChild pic.twitter.com/y6DyyGdyaZ— FDLE (@fdlepio) May 10, 2020
Indore (India) (AFP) – Virat Kohli’s India were hailed as a team driven by “hunger” after stretching their lead in the new world Test championship with a crushing win over Bangladesh inside three days.India won by an innings and 130 runs in Indore on Saturday to give them 300 points from victories in all six of their Tests in the inaugural championship, which began in August and will end in June 2021.New Zealand and Sri Lanka are second and third in the fledgling table, 240 points behind but each having played four fewer matches than India.The team’s latest triumph was ecstatically praised by the press on Sunday with the Times of India headline reading “Demolition Men” while the Hindustan Times blazed “India too fast and furious for Bangladesh”.“Getting there (to number one) is difficult, staying there is even more difficult,” bowling coach Bharat Arun said after India’s pacemen saw off Bangladesh for 150 and 213.“I think to do that over a period of three years, you need to stay constantly hungry.”Batting coach Vikram Rathour said India had built an ethos where victory for the team was more important than individual performances.“It’s the team culture. It’s not about batting or bowling. The team wants to be the number one team in the world. That’s why you see the hunger,” said Rathour.India’s opening win in the two-match series was their third straight innings victory and a record sixth consecutive Test triumph at home.It was also Kohli’s 10th innings victory as captain, surpassing the previous record of nine under his predecessor Mahendra Singh Dhoni.“Virat must be fast becoming India’s best ever skipper … #INDvBAN,” former England captain Michael Vaughan tweeted.India are now favourites to extend their winning streak to a 12th successive home Test series after surpassing Australia’s previous record of 10 in the recent 3-0 sweep of South Africa.The final match of the series, beginning Friday in Kolkata, will be India’s day-night Test debut.Kohli said he was looking forward to the new experience of playing with the pink ball in the Eden Gardens Test which will also be Bangladesh’s first under lights.“The pink-ball Test is going to be exciting, will be a challenge for the batters,” said Kohli.“With the older ball, it doesn’t swing that much so the bowlers will have a challenge. We’re just happy to be among the first to play pink-ball cricket for India.”