Napoli coach Ancelotti: Koulibaly subject of monkey chants throughoutby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNapoli coach Carlo Ancelotti says he’s prepared to take his players off the field if they’re subject to racist abuse.Kalidou Koulibaly was allegedly barracked by racist taunts throughout defeat to Inter Milan.He was booked at San Siro and reacted with sarcastic applause to the referee, prompting a red card.Lautaro Martinez went on to win the game at the 92nd minute, creating tension that went beyond the final whistle.“I asked the referee for information on the red cards and nothing else. Those incidents rather decided the match, as we had done very well in the second half and were pushing hard.“We even had the chance to win it when down to 10 men, but tempers were a little raised at the end,” the Coach told Sky Sport Italia.“There was a strange atmosphere, as we asked three times for play to be suspended, they had announcements with the speaker three times. Koulibaly was certainly irritable. Usually, he is very calm and professional, but he was subjected to monkey noises throughout the game.“We asked three times for some action to be taken, but the match continued. We keep being told play can be halted, but when? After four or five announcements? Maybe we have to take matters into our own hands next time and stop play ourselves. They’ll probably make us forfeit the game if we walk off, but we are prepared to do it.“It’s not good for Italian football, seeing this.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
DONE DEAL: Sunderland sign Burnley defender Jimmy Dunneby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSunderland have signed Burnley defender Jimmy Dunne on loan until the end of the season.The 21-year-old spent the first half of the campaign on loan at Scottish Premiership side Hearts.The Irishman, who helped Accrington win the League Two title in 2017-18, could make his debut against Luton on Saturday.”I’m very excited to be here. I’m looking to step up and keep developing my game,” he told the club website. TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Anyone who has ever pulled a hamstring knows how painful it can be. Former Louisville defensive lineman B.J. Dubose, competing at the NFL Combine Sunday morning, did just that, pulling up lame near the end of his 40-yard-dash run. Dubose eventually lost his balance and fell to the ground as well. It’s tough to watch.B.J. Dubose. That’s no good. https://t.co/ZRBQeo3N0k— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurke_SI) February 22, 2015We’re actually surprised this doesn’t happen more, given the fact that these athletes are giving it their all for four to five seconds. Hopefully he makes a fully recovery.
WINNIPEG — Investigators have reduced their tally of how much oil spilled when a Canadian National freight train derailed last month on a western Manitoba ranch.Earlier this month, the Transportation Safety Board said at least one million litres of petroleum crude was released Feb. 16 when 37 tanker cars went off the tracks near the small community of St. Lazare. On Friday, the board revised that number down to 820,000 litres.Investigators say the oil spilled from at least 14 of the derailed tanker cars and most of the crude was contained in a low-lying area near the tracks.The board says it has finished its work at the site and seven of the damaged tanker cars will undergo further analysis, including a review of some parts by its engineering lab in Ottawa.The train, with 108 petroleum crude oil cars, was heading east in the early morning at an estimated 79 km/h when an emergency brake was applied.There were no injuries and no fire. No people in the area had to leave their homes. The Canadian Press
Login/Register With: Advertisement Advertisement Running through March 18, 2018, the Biennial visualizes a current moment in art-making as viewed through the filters of the Gallery’s national collection and the research, travels and dialogues of curators working in the departments of Contemporary Art, Indigenous Art, and the Canadian Photography Institute. All of the works in the exhibition were acquired by the Gallery through purchase or donation between April 2014 and June 2017. The 2017 Canadian Biennial is generously supported by RBC Foundation.The exhibition begins with an incisive yet comedic engagement with a past century of Western art-making as encountered through Kent Monkman’s 2015 video and mixed-media installation Casualties of Modernity (2015). Paintings by Mickalene Thomas and Cynthia Girard-Renard, a textile by Shannon Bool, and a large collage by Wangechi Mutu are also featured in the opening room of the exhibition. Together, their works introduce numerous critical, political, aesthetic, and material threads that run throughout the exhibition, in works such as Stan Douglas’ compelling six-hour meander into an Afrobeat jam session in Luanda-Kinsasha (2013), the late Kwakwaka’wakw artist, activist and hereditary Chief Beau Dick’s celebrated performative masks, Nick Cave’s enchanting Sound Suit (2015), borne from the horrors of racialized violence, to Latifa Echakhch’s sculptures and paintings that reconcile personal narratives against broader cultural or nationalistic norms and expectations. The many Canadian, Indigenous and international contemporary artworks on view in the 2017 Canadian Biennial offer forms of worldly engagement between Canada and the global histories within which the complex fabric of the nation is connected. Twitter CatalogueThe 2017 Canadian Biennial is accompanied by a bilingual catalogue. Published by the NGC, the bilingual 334-page volume features a foreword by the Gallery’s Director, Marc Mayer, an essay by Associate Curator of Contemporary Art, Jonathan Shaughnessy, and entries by the curators of the departments of Contemporary Art, Indigenous Art, and the Canadian Institute of Photography. It also includes the complete list of works acquired by the Gallery since 2014 The catalogue is on sale at the Boutique for $40 as well as at ShopNGC.ca, the Gallery’s online boutique.Meet the ExpertSaturday, October 21, at noon, meet with the exhibition lead curator, Associate Curator of Contemporary Art, NGC, Jonathan Shaughnessy. In the Special Exhibition Galleries. In English.Adult Tour Program – Canadian Biennale HighlightsFrom October 31, 2017 to March 18, 2018, adults are invited to explore how contemporary artists are responding to the world around them in this exhibition featuring the latest in Canadian and international art. Migration, globalization and identity are explored through a range of media. In the Special Exhibition Galleries. Groups must include a minimum of 10 people. Cost: $7 + Gallery admission. Registration required three weeks in advance at 613-990-4888 or by email at [email protected] on Contemporary ArtFrom 28 October 28, 2017, to March 18, 2018, from 2 pm to 3 pm, interpreters will be in the exhibition space to answer visitors’ questions and share insights. In exhibition space. Saturday, Sundays and holidays. Bilingual. Free with admission.Connect with the GalleryFollow the Gallery’s latest news on its social media networks: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and InstagramHoursThe Gallery is open Tuesday to Sunday, from 10:00 am to 5 pm, and until 8 pm on Thursdays. Closed on Mondays. Open noon to 5pm November 11, 2017 (Remembrance Day), December 26 to 31, 2017 (Holiday Period), February 19, 2018 (Ontario Family Day), March 5, 2018 (Quebec March Break), and March 12, 2018 (Ontario March Break), For more information, visit https://www.gallery.ca/visit/hours-and-admissionAdmissionTickets: $15 (adults); $13 (seniors and full-time students); $7 (24 and under/students); $30 (families: two adults and three youth, 17 and under). Admission is free for children 11 and under, and for Members. Includes admission to the NGC Collection. Free admission on Thursdays from 5 pm to 8 pm. For more information, visit https://www.gallery.ca/visit/hours-and-admission.About the National Gallery of Canada The National Gallery of Canada is home to the most important collections of historical and contemporary Canadian art. The Gallery also maintains Canada’s premier collection of European Art from the 14th to the 21st centuries, as well as important works of American, Asian and Indigenous Art and renowned international collections of prints, drawings and photographs. In 2015, the National Gallery of Canada established the Canadian Photography Institute, a global multidisciplinary research center dedicated to the history, evolution and future of photography. Created in 1880, the National Gallery of Canada has played a key role in Canadian culture for well over a century. Among its principal missions is to increase access to excellent works of art for all Canadians. For more information, visit gallery.ca and follow us on Twitter @NatGalleryCanAbout the National Gallery of Canada FoundationThe National Gallery of Canada Foundation is dedicated to supporting the National Gallery of Canada in fulfilling its mandate. By fostering strong philanthropic partnerships, the Foundation provides the Gallery with the additional financial support required to lead Canada’s visual arts community locally, nationally and internationally. The blend of public support and private philanthropy empowers the Gallery to preserve and interpret Canada’s visual arts heritage. The Foundation welcomes present and deferred gifts for special projects and endowments. To learn more about the National Gallery of Canada Foundation, visit ngcfoundation.ca and follow us on Twitter @NGC_FoundationAbout RBCRoyal Bank of Canada is Canada’s largest bank, and one of the largest banks in the world, based on market capitalization. We are one of North America’s leading diversified financial services companies, and provide personal and commercial banking, wealth management, insurance, investor services and capital markets products and services on a global basis. We have approximately 81,000 full- and part-time employees who serve more than 16 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 35 other countries. For more information, please visit rbc.com.RBC helps communities prosper, supporting a broad range of community initiatives through donations, community investments and employee volunteer activities. For more information please see: http://www.rbc.com/community-sustainability/.
Photo by Casey Brown, FlickrKostelnick hopes to arrive at the Energetic City between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. He encourages residents to join him on his run.“I’d love to see people come out. My only thing is, so far this run really nice tourists have stopped and wanted to hand me food or drinks, but I am self-supported, so I can’t.”“Anyone who wants to run with me can, I love the company. The only thing I accept is beer because I don’t consider that support aha.” Kostelnick, who holds the World Record for running across the US in just 42 days, six hours and 30 minutes, added that he decided to do this run because he loves road trips. In his record-breaking run, he wasn’t able to stop and enjoy the sights, something he has made sure to do this time around.Pete in Testa River, B.C. Photo by Pete’s Across America.“I’ve loved road trips, I’ve always loved going places, I’ve always said getting there isn’t half the fun, it’s all the fun.”“I didn’t really get to enjoy it per say because I was pretty much either running, eating or sleeping that whole time when I ran two years ago. This run gives me a little more time to see the sights and stop and take some photos. It’s more of something in my own imagination than trying to take someone else’s record. It’s kind of like my own wild dream.”Kostelnick mentioned that his favourite part of the run so far has been all the different wildlife he’s seen here in the north.“I’ve seen so many great sights, I’ve seen a lot of awesome wildlife. They’ve left me alone, but I saw a few bears, lots of moose, caribou and foxes.” FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – A man who has made it his goal to run from Kenai, Alaska to Key West, Florida will be passing through the Energetic City this Saturday.Peter Kostelnick is in the 31st day of his historic journey and is the first runner ever to run the entirety of the Alaska Highway self-supported. Kostelnick explained that in order for him to reach his goal tonight he had to run over 110 kilometres.“It goes up and down big time,” said Kostelnick “Depending on how far apart services are where I can stay to get a nights rest.” For more information on Kostelnick’s run, you can visit his Facebook Page. To track his location click here. So far Kostelnick has run approximately 2,784 kilometres.
Actor Julia Roberts spent time with prostitutes who were paid $35 each to talk to her before filming Pretty Woman. Barbara Marshall, a former nurse and the widow of the movie’s director, Garry Marshall, has opened up on how she was volunteering at a free clinic here in 1989 when she got a call from her spouse, reports New York Post newspaper’s Page Six column. She said: “Garry would never visit me at the clinic, because he was a hypochondriac and afraid of getting a disease. But he asked if Julia could come and talk to some of the patients. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: Priyanka”I recruited two young women who came to the clinic regularly, and I paid them $35 each to meet with Julia. I went back to work, and about 20 minutes later, Julia yelled from the end of the hall, ‘Bye, Barbara. We’re going to take a drive. We’ll be back later.'” Marshall panicked and called her husband and told the director: “Your star just left with a group of girls, and I think they were heading to Hollywood Boulevard. I’m worried. What if she doesn’t come back?” But the group returned later and Barbara praised Julia as “one tough lady who can take care of herself on and off camera”. Her most successful films include Mystic Pizza (1988), Steel Magnolias (1989), Pretty Woman (1990), to name a few.
New Delhi: Just a fortnight ahead of the first phase of the Lok Sabha elections, the Opposition parties have started questioning the Election Commission of India (EC) and its alleged ‘political predisposition’. On Wednesday the TDP-ruled state government in Andhra Pradesh filed a petition in High Court challenging the orders of the EC transferring three top cops on Tuesday night. The court accepted the petition.Meanwhile, Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu expressed serious concern over the issue and questioned how the Election commission reacts immediately on the complaint of an alleged economic offender Vijayasai Reddy. He further alleged that the Opposition YSR Congress party was trying to terrorise officials. He said that the transfer of officials who will not come under EC purview sends wrong signals. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsIG A B Venkateswara Rao, Srikakulam SP Venkataratnam and Kadapa SP Rahuldev Sarma were transferred on the basis of a complaint, lodged by Vijayasai Reddy to the EC. The AP CM further warned of launching ‘Save Democracy and Save Democratic Institutions’ agitation. A TDP delegation of MPs CM Ramesh, K Raveendra Kumar and other senior leaders met the Chief Election Commissioner of India (CEC) Sunil Arora on Wednesday evening and submitted a memorandum. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from ThursdayThe Trinamool Congress, the ruling party in West Bengal too objected to the appointment of former BSF Director General K K Sharma as special police observer for West Bengal and Jharkhand late on Tuesday evening, alleging that he was present at an RSS function a year earlier. “EC has now appointed KK Sharma, retired DG BSF, as Special Central Police Observer for West Bengal and Jharkhand. Over one year ago (Feb 2018) Trinamool had raised an objection to his presence in uniform at an RSS function,” Rajya Sabha MP Derek O’Brien tweeted. The Election Commission appointed four special observers, two retired IRS and two IPS officer, to spearhead its efforts to check the abuse of black money and illegal inducements to voters and monitor deployment of security forces in select sensitive states during the Lok Sabha polls. Sharma is one of them.
Gayeshpur/ Ranaghat (Nadia): Coming down heavily on the Election Commission (EC), Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee alleged that it is changing the senior officials in Bengal at the behest of BJP. She was addressing two election rallies at Gayeshpur and Nadia on Sunday afternoon.”BJP cannot win the election by changing the senior officials and deploying Central Forces. Senior EC officials are coming to Bengal and criticising the state without any rhyme or reason. This is against the Constitution. They should remember that it is the people who cast their votes in favour of their candidate. In the 2016 Assembly election, the Central Forces were there as well but Trinamool got 211 seats,” Banerjee stated. Without naming Mukul Roy, she said: “There is a traitor whom we have driven out from the party and that traitor is misinforming BJP about Bengal.” Calling BJP a party of “liars who always try to create confusion among the people,” she said: “The leaders from Delhi are coming to the state. They have neither knowledge nor information about Bengal. They are like seasonal birds. They come before the election, criticise Bengal and utter unparliamentary words against the state and its leaders.” Taking a dig at Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Trinamool supremo said: “I am amazed to see his audacity. Instead of replying to the questions raised by the people of the country on note ban, GST, his promises on creation of 10 crore jobs in five years and deposit of Rs 15 lakh in the accounts of all Indians, he is asking me what I have done for Bengal.” “The country has never seen such an arrogant and humbug Prime Minister since Independence. He is running after his own publicity. He has opened a shop to sell his coat, a film on his life and works has been made and he was busy shooting his film when 40 jawans were killed. This is a most worthless government that survives only on lies and spreading canard,” she maintained. Banerjee said that Modi should come up with a statement on the effect of note ban or hasty implementation of GST. “He should tell the electorate as to why 12,000 farmers committed suicide,” she said. She said that along with BJP, the RSS and VHP have become active in Bengal as well. “VHP leaders wear saffron to project themselves as saints, but in reality they are killing people and engineering riots,” she added. The Trinamool supremo said that in the past seven years, all-round development has been carried out in Nadia. The pro-people schemes taken up by the state government have enormously benefitted the people as well. “There is not a single house in Bengal which has not been covered by any of the schemes,” she remarked. She urged the voters not to cast their votes in favour of BJP as “they will ruin the country.” “There will be no Rabindranath, Netaji, Gandhiji or Ambedkar. There will be only hatred and those questioning the functions of the Centre will be crushed,” she added. Banerjee first attended the meeting at Gayeshpur and then went to Ranaghat. A stretch in Gayeshpur falls under the Bongaon Lok Sabha seat, where election will be held on May 6, whereas Ranaghat will go to polls on April 29.